Friday, July 22, 2016

JAI #321 Just add paper piecing


Hello there,
well after a short intermission (and having survived school holidays) I have another Christmas card for you. I thought our new challenge at Just Add Ink this week - to Just Add Paper Piecing from Patrice was a great one to use for this. The JAI design team have lots of gorgeous examples of paper piecing so go check them out and then join us :)

This is what I came up with (photographing this in the drizzly morning rain was a challenge so please forgive the dull images).


And the inside.


I pulled out a large line image poinsettia (sadly retired but still lurking on my shelves) and stamped it repeatedly on DSP. My aim was to have the text on the DSP radiate out from the centre of the flower. I trimmed out a bunch of overlapping petals for the base and then the upper layer. Next I water coloured the petals, adding a few little highlights with white ink. Once it was all dry I used Tombow multi glue to adhere the DSP petals to a flower stamped (and trimmed out from) cardstock. I used dimensionals to layer up the flower and secure the looped gold thread. I wanted something to contrast with the flower and I thought the bold gold striped vellum provided a suitable amount of Christmas bling. 

Thanks for visiting. Don't forget we'd love to see your paper pieced project this week too!

Kim

Recipe: All SU! unless otherwise noted
Stamps: Reason for the Season, Flurry of Wishes, Joyful Christmas (R)
Cardstock: Real Red, Basic Black, Very Vanilla
Ink: Real Red, Cherry Cobler, Whisper White, Black Stazon
Accessories: Circles Collection framelits (R), Merry Moments DSP (R), Typeset DSP (R), Gold Natural Trim ribbon, Gold Fancy Foil Vellum (R), Red Glimmer paper, Cherry Cobler Dazzling Details (R), Aquapainter, Dimensionals, Tombow multi, Tear and Tape

6 comments:

  1. What a great effect on the print Kim. Another lovely creative project. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is totally gorgeous Kim! I love the the effect of your colouring over the text and the added texture of your ribbon layer and all the pretty gold details. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so beautiful Kim! Your watercolouring over the petals is such a wow effect and I love the layer of ribbon peeking out and all the lovely gold details. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is gorgeous, Kim! I especially love the little pieces of ribbon nestled amongst the petals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kim this is such a pretty Christmas card with just the perfect amount of gold :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Kim, if you need a place to send this beauty at Christmas, I'd be very excited & grateful to receive it ;). I love everything about it, especially the coloured text poinsettia (I won't part with that set either), the gold touches, the stitching. Love!
    Hugs, D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!