Friday, June 10, 2016

Just Add Ink #315 Sketch


Hello there,
have you ever been faced with a challenge and inspiration, that light bulb solution wouldn't come? That is what I felt like in the week leading to my submission deadline for this week's Just Add Ink challenge. This week Tina has given us a sketch - and well it was doing my head in :o trying to work out how to make this sketch work for me until I turned it upside down! First up here's the sketch.

Now here it is upside down ;)


Can you see how the shapes all taper to the top now? This is when inspiration came, and here is the result.

And a little surprise for the inside, which is rather tricky to photograph.



So I was talking about how the sketch shapes tapered to the top - and of course so do cakes which made me think of the Party Pop Up thinlets - and I went from there! I did take one more liberty with the sketch which was to pull the circle layer to the back (see the sunburst peeking out from behind the diecut?) 

This is going to my hubby for his birthday this year so I kept the fussiness stripped back but I added in lots of texture by using water colour paper (Ok honestly I just love playing with water colour and any excuse will do right now ;), glossing up the diecut added lots of shine and having a pop-up inside is super important too (I have a tradition of giving hubby interactive cards). Once I had my inspiration this came together really fast!

The rest of the JAI team have wonderful projects to show you too - so do go check them out.

Thanks for visiting,
Kim

Recipe: All SU! unless otherwise noted
Stamps: Party with Cake, Confetti Celebration
Cardstock: Hello Honey, Basic Black, Very Vanilla
Ink: Delightful Dijon, Hello Honey,  Tuxedo Black (Memento)
Accessories: Party Pop Up thinlets, Water colour paper, Project Life marker, Go Wild DSP (R), Gold Fancy Foil Designer Vellum (R), Gold Basic metal button (R), Glossy accents (R), Basic Black baker's twine, Gold Wink of Stella, Dimensionals, Tear and Tape, Tombow multi

5 comments:

  1. I too found this sketch hard to start with Kim before my BBBarrived! I love how you've turned the sketch upside down to fit with your lovely shiny cake! So clever! And your beautiful water colouring and surprise pop up inside are quite spectacular! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic card! I love it, and the textured feel you have achieved with the water colouring is just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having seen this card in the flesh, so to speak, I can say that the photo definitely doesn't do it justice. It's a stunning work of art, with lovely texture and some fun on the inside. You make beautiful cards, my friend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there Kim!!
    WOW you would never know from your awesome card that you stuggled!! It's totally FABULOUS!! The colours and the watercolouring and the black and the balloons and the inside and the..... MATE IT'S AWESOME!!! Wonderful inspiration dear lady, sooo nice to be able to play along with you all this week!
    Smiles Sharnee :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am seriously "fangirling" (fan-girl-ing?) right now!! In awe of your creativity, Kim. Stunning use of colour, and layers, and as always I just love the little details on your card. The glossy die-cut is fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!